Not many of you should become teachers - James 3:1

Sunday, September 26, 2010

A New Pedagogy

Our author, Will Richardson, in his blog (Weblogged – learning with the read/write web) masterfully expands his original theses presented in our text (Blog, Wikis, Podcasts, and Other Powerful Web Tools for the Classroom, 3rd Ed.; 2010). In particular, his 9/25/10 post on social learning tools and curricular change challenges me to expand my view of technology in education. Specifically, my view of technology going into this course was that of technology being a neutral medium, albeit an effective tool to enhance my longstanding pedagogy

Reading through the 9/25 post and previous posts (and in particular 9/16 & 9/13), together with our reading assignments and various course activities is challenging my pedagogic approach.. I’m now beginning to view technology as vital and active, embodying philosophies and ideology. In Richardson’s 9/16 post the theme of technology transforming schools resonated with me, serving as a catalyst to potentiate my thinking along a new path. After reading and reflection on this post, I began a slight philosophical shift.

Reading through the earlier posts, and in particular the 9/13 post on a Massive Open Online Course (MOOC), furthered my philosophical journey. Viewing the video and reading the supportive text really jarred my thinking with respect to successful course structure (networked, decentralized, and participatory), attributes of the successful learner (independent, aware of personal goals, and willing to engage with people and ideas), and knowledge in the course (negotiated, emergent, and rhizomatic). Reflecting on this post further challenged my philosophy of education and I began to see the need to let go of my prevailing ideology giving way to a potentially major shift and expansion in my philosophy of education.

After experiencing these posts, Siemens and Tittenberger’s points in The Handbook of Emerging Technologies for Learning (2009) are riveted and stimulated me to move beyond my original view of technology as augmentative and supportive of traditional face-to-face instruction. My pedagogic horizons are really expanded as I begin to rethink the course dimensions of dissemination, discussion, discovery, and demonstration.

Moreover, my view of this course has progressed beyond merely learning about various technologies to making a major shift in my philosophy of education.
At this point, I really need some time to reflect and process the ramifications of these pedagogic challenges, then begin to envision my emerging response to same, and finally plan out the best approach to systematically implement pedagogic changes.

Thank you so much for stimulating my thinking and challenging my philosophy of education. I’m really excited about my emerging pedagogic shift and of the impact of same on course development and delivery in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment